Another year is gone, already, I know!
In a way, I would say it went by quickly, we get the impression that time flies more and more with each new year. But on the other hand, this was my graduation year and there were times (on many occasions) I wished time would go by faster XDDD So it’s all relative…
I am very thankful to this year as my two biggest wishes for 2008 have been granted (as much cheesy as that may sound). I just hope my wishes for 2009 will come true as well (this night is magical, I’ll tell ya! xD).
Just like in previous years, 2008 was a year with huge CLAMP activity, as we couldn’t expect less from these ladies.
I have selected a
lot few of what I judge to be the most important happenings of this year so we can take a good look to what happened while we wait for the 2009 releases.
– Release of Tsubasa #22 and Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations – The Boy’s Right Eye. The DVD limited edition reached the 3rd position in Animate’s ranking on its release week, the normal edition reached the 1st position in its second week on Tohan’s ranking.
– CLAMP was featured in the 35th edition of the International Comics Festival of Bande Dessinée in France. The exposition featured original art by CLAMP, a replica of their studio and a video showing their creative process produced specially for the festival.
– CLAMP’s Silver Powder, a jewelry series designed by Mokona and confectioned by Wargo, was put on sale in several stores in Japan.
– Release of CLAMP in CARDLAND Official Card Catalog IRREPLACEABLE BOOK, by Kodansha, with information about the 1st Series of CLAMP in CARDLAND.
– The 150th chapter of XXXHOLiC was published in Young Magazine, becoming the second CLAMP series to achieve such number of chapters, only behind Tsubasa.
– CLAMP member and leader announces change in her pen name from “Ageha” back to “Nanase” starting in March.
– The second season of XXXHOLiC’s anime gets a new title, XXXHOLiC◆Kei (suggested by Nanase Ohkawa herself), and Suga Shikao repeats once again the role of opening theme singer.
– Release of CLAMP in CARDLAND 2nd Series. CLAMP drew new illustrations for 3 special cards.
– An event in commemoration of XXXHOLiC◆Kei was held at the LOFT/PLUS ONE talk live house, in Tokyo. Guests included CLAMP, staff and cast members of the anime.
– Announcement of a limited XXXHOLiC Drama CD to be bundled with volume 13. The Drama CD script would be written in a special collaboration between CLAMP (Nanase Ohkawa) and Ryukishi07.
– Release of Tsubasa #23 and Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations – The Dream Seen by the Princess. The regular edition stayed in the Top 3 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– CLAMP celebrated 19 years of professional manga creation.
– XXXHOLiC◆Kei begins its broadcast on TBS channel. Suga Shikao sang the Opening tune and SEAMO the Ending tune, CLAMP drew the jacket illustrations for both singles.
– Code Geass – Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 begins its broadcast on TBS and MBS channel. CLAMP drew the illustrations for the first and second Ending sequences.
– Release of CLAMP in 3-D LAND 6th Series, composed by Kurogane (Tsubasa), Keitarou (Gakuen Tokkei Duklyon), Akira (20 Mensho ni Onegai!!), Umi (Mahou Kishi Rayearth) and Kobato (Kobato.).
– Release of Kobato. #2. It reached the 9th position on Animate’s ranking on its release week.
– CLAMP throws their first girls-only party in their studio. Guests included seiyuus, managers, editors and other business women.
– Announcement of CLOVER‘s new version for July.
– Release of CLAMP in CARDLAND 3rd Series. CLAMP drew new illustrations for 3 special cards.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #13 with original Drama CD, Shiminuki. It stayed in the top 3 best seller comics in most rankings in its first week.
– Release of XXXHOLiC◆Kei DVD volume 1. The DVD came with a Drama CD written by Nanase Ohkawa about Yuuko and Clow and the creation of the Mokona=Modoki.
– CLAMP draws the covers of the pocket editions of Mori Ougai’s classic novels Maihime / Utakata no ki and Sanshou Dayuu / Takasebune / Abe Ichizoku.
– XXXHOLiC◆Kei ends its broadcast. It ran for 13 episodes, 4 of which written by Nanase Ohkawa. CLAMP drew the box illustration to hold the series’ DVDs.
– A MADHOUSE TV anime adaptation of the mystery novel Mouryou no Hako is announced and CLAMP is included in the staff as responsible for the character concept. This is the second time CLAMP provides original character concept for a series not based on their own works.
– Release of CLOVER new version #1 and #2. The original four volumes were compiled in two volumes for the new version.
– Release of Tsubasa #24. It reached 1st position in Oricon’s ranking on its release week.
– Announcement of Tsubasa and XXXHOLiC OADs for the beginning of 2009. The 4 installments will be animated by PRODUCTION I.G. and scripted by Nanase Ohkawa.
– Release of CLAMP in CARDLAND Dramatic Decks of Card Captor Sakura and X & Tokyo Babylon.
– Del Rey announces CLAMP IN AMERICA, a retrospective guide covering their 20 years of history emphasizing their popularity and influences in the United States. The book will be released in June 2009.
– Release of CLAMP in 3-D LAND 7th Series, composed by Suu (CLOVER), Hikaru (Mahou Kishi Rayearth), Sakura (Tsubasa), Nokoru (CLAMP Gakuen Tanteidan) and Kamui (X).
– Release of CLAMP in CARDLAND 4th Series. CLAMP drew new illustrations for 3 special cards.
– CLAMP draws a 4-pages short comic for Kindai Mahjong Original about the manga Washizu as a tribute to Akagi‘s mangaka, Nobuyuki Fukumoto.
– CLAMP draws the illustration for one of the trading cards that came with the game Sangokushi Taisen Ten, of Marvelous Entertainment, for Nintendo DS.
– CLAMP’s Internet Radio show Komugikotoride no Yonshimin ends its broadcast after two years run with 49 episodes.
– Release of CLAMP in 3-D LAND 8th and final Series, composed by Syaoran (Tsubasa), Sakura (Card Captor Sakura), Suoh (CLAMP Gakuen Tanteidan), Fuu (Mahou Kishi Rayearth) and Fuuma (X).
– Announcement of MUTUALITY: CLAMP works in CODE GEASS artbook for December.
– The translator of Tsubasa and XXXHOLiC North American editions, William Flanagan, is announced as the english translator of Mangettes, CLAMP’s new manga with Dark Horse for 2009.
– Mouryou no Hako begins its broadcast on Nippon TV.
– The 200th chapter of Tsubasa is published in Shonen Magazine, becoming the first CLAMP manga to achieve it.
– The titles of Tsubasa and XXXHOLiC OADs were revealed as Tsubasa Shunraiki and XXXHOLiC Shunmuki. The four volumes will come out in consecutive monthly releases starting February, 2009.
– Code Geass – Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 ends its broadcast. It ran for a total of 25 episodes, with the last episode putting an end to the franchise (as of now).
– Release of Tsubasa #25. It stayed in the top 3 best seller comics in most rankings in its first week, reaching the 1st position in Oricon’s ranking.
– The collaboration between Youko Tsukumo and CLAMP led to yet another volume of The Witch’s Mansion series. CLAMP once again drew the cover and inside illustrations for The Witch’s Mansion and the School of Mystery, the 4th volume of the series.
– Release of CLAMP in CARDLAND 5th Series. CLAMP drew new illustrations for 3 special cards.
– A CLAMP Talk Show was held in Tokyo at the 2nd Official CLAMP in CARDLAND Event.
– Release of MUTUALITY: CLAMP works in CODE GEASS artbook, featuring Code Geass art drawn by CLAMP, original character sketches and never-before-seen illustrations.
– Announcement of Kobato. TV Anime adaptation. The staff includes Madhouse studios and CLAMP’s Nanase Ohkawa as series compositor.
– The title and plot details of Mangettes: Gate 7 are announced. The publication is scheduled to begin on August 15, 2009.
– A CLAMP Talk Show was held in Osaka at the 2nd Official CLAMP in CARDLAND Event.
– Release of Kobato. #3.
– The broadcast of Mouryou no Hako ends with a total 13 episodes.
And there are several great things we should be looking forward in 2009:
– Tsubasa Shunraiki and XXXHOLiC Shunmuki OADs, from February to May.
– CLAMP IN AMERICA guide book, in June.
– The serializations of Tsubasa and XXXHOLiC finally coming to a closure.
– Mangettes: Gate 7, in August.
– Kobato. TV Anime, in the Autumn.
– CLAMP’s 20th Anniversary and its celebration projects.
– For more scheduled releases, check the CLAMP Widget that I developed with up-to-date confirmed information! xD
HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ^__^
I wish a peaceful year to anyone reading this! May your wishes come true and may we have lots and lots of CLAMP, of course !!
Wait wait wait! It’s not over yet! There are two things I would like to mention.
The first is that Oricon made a Top 50 best seller mangas of 2008 and XXXHOLiC #13 is the only CLAMP work to appear in the ranking at position 43, with 451,942 copies sold! Congratulations to XXXHOLiC, and CLAMP!
And lastly, yesterday was my LiveJournal’s birthday! Yay me! 4 years ago on December 30 I was making first post on this new home that LiveJournal was for me at that time. 4 years of dedication to this place which I consider to be like my virtual home, LOL!
Thank you all very much for reading it and for the support during these years! I will keep doing my best in 2009 and hopefully in the next years too!