It is that time of the year to look back at what happened in this so-called “CLAMP World” =)
I’m very thankful for 2009, among many great things that happened to me, it was the year that I met CLAMP (for the first time, let’s be positive! haha). For me that was undoubtedly the highlight of 2009.
I have selected a few of what I judge to be the most important happenings of this year so we can take a good look to what happened while we wait for the 2010 releases.
– A Holitsuba Gakuen short comic was published in Kodansha’s special magazine Magazine Dragon.
– The XXXHOLiC Shunmuki Part 1 OAD had its first screening in Tokyo at the Kodansha Hall. Director Tsutomu Mizushima and cast members Sayaka Ohara and Mika Kikuchi attented to the event.
– A CLAMP large feature is published in Da Vinci magazine to celebrate the group’s 20th Anniversary.
– A symposium about mystery with CLAMP (Nanase Ohkawa and Tsubaki Nekoi) and Soryuuden’s creator Yoshiki Tanaka is published in IN★POCKET magazine, a magazine about pocket books.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #14 and XXXHOLiC Shunmuki Part 1. The regular edition stayed in the Top 3 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– Satsuki Igarashi’s column Shimarisu no Hoobukuro (Chipmunk Cheeks) ends its serialization in Newtype magazine after 7 years.
– Release of Tsubasa #26 and Tsubasa Shunrariki Part 1. The regular edition stayed in the Top 5 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– The first picture of CLAMP’s new manga Mangettes: Gate 7 was revealed. The manga is a joint collaboration with the American publisher Dark Horse and is slated to start serialization in 2010.
– The design and content of CLAMP-NET.COM were renewed.
– CLAMP celebrated 20 years of professional manga creation.
– CLAMP is chosen to draw the illustrations for the two final chapters of Kamigami-tachi no Gosui, a fantasy novel written by Atsuko Asano and serialized in Animedia magazine.
– CLAMP draws the box illustration that came with the 9th and final volume of the Code Geass R2 DVD and Blu-Ray.
– Release of Tsubasa #27 and Tsubasa Shunrariki Part 2. The regular edition stayed in the Top 3 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– CLAMP draws the illustrations for the final chapter of the novel Kamigami-tachi no Gosui.
– CLAMP draws for VOGUE NIPPON magazine. The illustration featured fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld and it was part of a collaboration project. The illustration drawn by CLAMP became a T-shirt that was sold for a limited time at the VOGUE NIPPON × Comme des Garçons MAGAZINE ALIVE store.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #15 and XXXHOLiC Shunmuki Part 2. The regular edition stayed in the Top 2 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– An OAD sequel for XXXHOLiC is announced for 2010.
– Release of Satsuki Igarashi’s Shimarisu no Hoobukuro, the book compiles all the essays published in Newtype magazine from 2002 to 2009 as well as new essays written exclusively for the book release.
– CLAMP joins with Mihara Ichirou and Shinji Hosoe, both from the game developer company ARIKA, to create an original music video using the popular japanese software Vocaloid. The video became a hit on NicoNico Douga (japanese video-sharing website similar to YouTube).
– CLAMP members attend to the opening of the art exposition CLAMP Les Reines du manga à Paris (CLAMP The Queens of manga in Paris) in Paris, France. The exhibition featured CLAMP’s original illustrations and manuscripts. More than 10.000 people attended the exposition during the 56 days of its run.
– CLAMP members attend to the anime-manga convention Japan Expo in Paris, France. They did two signing sessions, a public conference and were the judges of the CLAMP Cosplay Contest.
– Dark Horse announces at the San Diego Comic-Con its plans to produce with Universal studios a live action movie adaptation of CLOVER.
– Release of the new versions of Wish #1 and #2. The new versions featured newly drawn cover illustrations.
– CLAMP draws a Code Geass R2 illustration for the 2010 Newtype pin-up calendar.
– Release of the new versions of Wish #3 and #4. The new versions featured newly drawn cover illustrations.
– Release of the 4th Holitsuba Drama CD. Written by Nanase Ohkawa, the limited CD was available only for those who applied for it.
– CLAMP draws the cover for the book release of Kamigami no Utatane (also known as Kamigami-tachi no Gosui).
– Tsubasa – RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE – ends its 6-years serialization in Shonen Magazine with a total of 232 chapters and one epilogue. Tsubasa sold over 20 million manga copies (volumes 1 to 27). This corresponds to 20% of CLAMP’s overall comics sales (currently around 100 million copies).
– The TV Anime series of Kobato. starts its broadcast in NHK BS2 channel. The script of the debut episode was written by CLAMP member Nanase Ohkawa.
– Release of ALL ABOUT CLAMP book by Kadokawa, the book version of the CLAMP Newtype [PLATINUM] and [PASTEL] special magazines originally published in 2006, it carries information about all CLAMP works and also X 18.5.
– CLAMP draws the cover for Jun Fukuyama’s original album Romantic World 31.
– CLAMP draws the extra costume for character Jin Kazama for the game Tekken 6.
– Release of Tsubasa #28. The regular edition stayed in the Top 3 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– Release of the Tsubasa – ALBuM De REPRoDUCTioNS 2 – artbook.
– Release of the CLAMP and Kobato. 2010 Calendars.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #16.
– Release of Kobato. #4.
– New XXXHOLiC OAD with volume 17.
– Beginning of Mangettes: Gate 7 serialization.
– Kobato. TV Anime series.
– And of course, the manga serializations of XXXHOLiC, Kobato. and any other new stuff that CLAMP will definitely provide us =)
HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ^__^
Also one more important thing. Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of my LiveJournal! I would just like to say a huge thank you to all of you who read it and make comments and share your thoughts. Thank you so much for all the support during these 5 great years! =D