I thought this year’s retrospective was going to be very small and not much eventful (what with the end of Tsubasa and stuff), but I was completely wrong! I had as much trouble collecting all the important facts from this year as any other previous years.
I rounded up the most important facts of this year in the CLAMP universe and at the end of the list is what we can expect for the future =)
– Release of Kobato. TV Anime DVD #1. The limited first edition came with a Box drawn by CLAMP.
– CLAMP’s winter illustration of “Happy Ko” is featured in NHK’s kids show, Tensai TV-kun MAX.
– CLAMP presents Japanese female athlete Sakai Yui with an illustration as an act of supporting her participation in the Winter Olympic games. The athlete commented about it in her official blog.
– Kobato. CHARACTERS COLLECTION, the Kobato. TV anime official guide book is released by Kadokawa Shoten.
– An article and CLAMP interview is published in the “Me & My Blythe2” book.
– CLAMP’s spring illustration of “Happy Ko” is featured in NHK’s kids show, Tensai TV-kun MAX.
– A talk between CLAMP member Nanase Ohkawa and the director of the Kobato. TV anime, Mitsuyuki Masuhara, is published in the January issue of Newtype magazine.
– Episode 20 of the Kobato. TV Anime airs in Japanese TV. The episode script was written by CLAMP member Nanase Ohkawa and features the characters of Tsubasa.
– The premiere of the XXXHOLiC Rou OAD takes place in Shibuya, Tokyo. CLAMP members made a secret guest appearance. Other guests included director Tsutomu Mizushima, Sayaka Ohara (Yuuko’s seiyuu), Jun Fukuyama (Watanuki’s seiyuu) and Kazuya Nakai (Doumeki’s seiyuu).
– A talk between CLAMP and the mangaka of Godhand Teru, Kazuki Yamamoto, is published in Godhand Teru Complete Dictionary Valhöll.
– CLAMP collaborates with an illustration for Newtype magazine’s 25th Anniversary commemorative pamphlet.
– The collaboration between Youko Tsukumo and CLAMP led to another volume of The Witch’s Mansion series. CLAMP drew the cover and inside illustrations for The Witch’s Mansion and the Mysterious Scientist, the 5th volume of the series.
– The broadcast of the Kobato. TV Anime ends on NHK BS2. The series had a total of 24 episodes, two of which were written by CLAMP’s scriptwriter Nanase Ohkawa.
– A talk between CLAMP and singer Maaya Sakamoto is published in the 0331 pamphlet, released for Maaya Sakamoto’s 15th Anniversary concert at the Budokan. CLAMP also drew an illustration of Maaya.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #17 along with the XXXHOLiC Rou OAD. The regular edition stayed in the Top 4 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– CLAMP travels to Kyoto and start collecting data for their next work, GATE7.
– A new Code Geass production is announced, entitled Code Geass GAIDEN: Boukoku no Akito. CLAMP is once again in charge of drawing the original character designs.
– Release of Kobato. TV Anime Official Guide Book Happy Memories. The book contained summaries of all 24 episodes, interview with staff and cast plus a talk with the anime director and Nanase Ohkawa.
– A campaign to promote the moving of XXXHOLiC to Bessatsu Shonen Magazine is held in 3 Kodansha magazines. A XXXHOLiC Rou one-shot was published in Weekly Shonen Magazine and a Holitsuba one-shot in Magazine SPECIAL, the 3rd magazine was Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, featuring the first chapter of XXXHOLiC’s new serialization. A QUO card was given to those who purchased each magazine and a short OAD for those who purchased all three magazines.
– XXXHOLiC’s serialization moves to Kodansha’s monthly magazine Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. In its first appearance in the magazine, XXXHOLiC featured the front cover.
– XXXHOLiC #16 and #17 appeared in Oricon’s 50 top-selling mangas in Japan from November 2009 to May 2010. They ranked 31 and 37, respectively. XXXHOLiC was Kodansha’s 6th best-selling title.
– CLAMP designs a Kinomoto Sakura and a Kimihiro Watanuki Blythe dolls for the Manga Girls Inspiration Charity Exhibition. The exhibition was held to celebrate Blythe‘s 9th Anniversary in Japan.
– CLAMP draws an illustration for the Summer Wars Official Comic Anthology.
– The members of CLAMP attend the opening ceremony of the Blythe exhibition and charity event at Omotesando Hills, Tokyo, Japan.
– CLAMP’s original art and drafts for The Witch’s Mansion and the Mysterious Scientist is exhibited at the Aoi Tori Bunko Festival exhibition in Kodansha’s K-Square.
– CLAMP moves to a new studio in Tokyo. They stayed in the former studio for 6 years.
– Release of Kobato. TV Anime DVD #7. The limited first edition came with a Box drawn by CLAMP.
– The members of CLAMP make a live guest appearance in Mihara Ichirou’s twitcast, during the time he visited their new studio.
– Release of XXXHOLiC Box Part 1, containing episodes 1 to 12 of the first season of the XXXHOLiC TV Anime.
– The XXXHOLiC Rou Short OAD is delivered to those who participated in the 3 magazines campaign. The 2 minute video was revealed to be the opening sequence of a new XXXHOLiC Rou OAD, set for a 2011 release.
– CLAMP collaborates with writer Tsukumo Youko in the short story “The Princess’ Disappearing Goblet – ‘The Witch’s Mansion’ Extra Story – The Night Before the Shiny Magic -“ for the Aoi Tori Bunko‘s 30th Anniversary commemorative book I want to read an interesting story! Magical Compilation!.
– CLAMP’s official website announces their first mobile event, CLAMP@MOBiLE Fes! 2011.
– Release of the XXXHOLiC 2011 Desktop Calendar, featuring black and white illustrations by CLAMP previously used as title pages for XXXHOLiC chapters.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #18. It stayed in the Top 2 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– A mail-in service to win a XXXHOLiC Fukusei Genga was hosted by Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. The Fukusei Genga is printed in a quality in order to look like a replica of the original art.
– Release of XXXHOLiC Box Part 2, containing episodes 13 to 24 of the first season of the XXXHOLiC TV Anime.
– CLAMP joins Amazon.co.jp’s “Hall of Fame” in the comic artists category. A formal ceremony was held to announce the artists and celebrate Amazon.co.jp’s 10th Anniversary.
– GATE7 one-shot is published in JUMP SQ. In the same issue it was announced that the one-shot will become a regular series in JUMP SQ in February, 2011.
– CLAMP draws the cover and inside illustrations for the pocket edition re-release of classic children’s book Peter Pan and Wendy (by author J. M. Barrie).
– CLAMP@MOBiLE launches its official twitter account: @CLAMP_news.
– The Kobato. manga gets a page increase in Newtype magazine. Until then the chapters were only up to 14 pages each, from now on each chapter can have up to 24 pages.
– CLAMP draws the March illustration for Newtype’s 2011 Calendar, featuring a Kobato. illustration.
– CLAMP appears as guest artists in Minoru Toyoda & Kumichi Yoshizuki’s doujinshi Koukan Nikki (交換日記, Exchange Diary) to be sold at Comiket.
What to expect of 2011:
– CLAMP@MOBiLE Fes! 2011 event with new goods, XXXHOLiC Rou Adayume OAD premiere and a CLAMP Talk Show;
– GATE7 serialization in February;
– XXXHOLiC Rou Adayume OAD in March;
– Possible releases of CLAMP IN AMERICA and the new Code Geass GAIDEN: Boukoku no Akito anime project;
– And of course, the serializations of both Kobato. and XXXHOLiC.
– … and many more surprises =)
Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of my LiveJournal, and I would like to say a huge thank you to all its readers, I hope you’ll keep reading it for the year that follows =)
HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ^__^
I’m sure 2011 will be as CLAMP-filled as the previous years have proved to be! See you in 2011!