I thought this year’s retrospective was going to be very small and not much eventful (what with the end of Tsubasa and stuff), but I was completely wrong! I had as much trouble collecting all the important facts from this year as any other previous years.
I rounded up the most important facts of this year in the CLAMP universe and at the end of the list is what we can expect for the future =)
– Release of Kobato. TV Anime DVD #1. The limited first edition came with a Box drawn by CLAMP.
– CLAMP’s winter illustration of “Happy Ko” is featured in NHK’s kids show, Tensai TV-kun MAX.
– CLAMP presents Japanese female athlete Sakai Yui with an illustration as an act of supporting her participation in the Winter Olympic games. The athlete commented about it in her official blog.
– Kobato. CHARACTERS COLLECTION, the Kobato. TV anime official guide book is released by Kadokawa Shoten.
– An article and CLAMP interview is published in the “Me & My Blythe2” book.
– CLAMP’s spring illustration of “Happy Ko” is featured in NHK’s kids show, Tensai TV-kun MAX.
– A talk between CLAMP member Nanase Ohkawa and the director of the Kobato. TV anime, Mitsuyuki Masuhara, is published in the January issue of Newtype magazine.
– Episode 20 of the Kobato. TV Anime airs in Japanese TV. The episode script was written by CLAMP member Nanase Ohkawa and features the characters of Tsubasa.
– The premiere of the XXXHOLiC Rou OAD takes place in Shibuya, Tokyo. CLAMP members made a secret guest appearance. Other guests included director Tsutomu Mizushima, Sayaka Ohara (Yuuko’s seiyuu), Jun Fukuyama (Watanuki’s seiyuu) and Kazuya Nakai (Doumeki’s seiyuu).
– A talk between CLAMP and the mangaka of Godhand Teru, Kazuki Yamamoto, is published in Godhand Teru Complete Dictionary Valhöll.
– CLAMP collaborates with an illustration for Newtype magazine’s 25th Anniversary commemorative pamphlet.
– The collaboration between Youko Tsukumo and CLAMP led to another volume of The Witch’s Mansion series. CLAMP drew the cover and inside illustrations for The Witch’s Mansion and the Mysterious Scientist, the 5th volume of the series.
– The broadcast of the Kobato. TV Anime ends on NHK BS2. The series had a total of 24 episodes, two of which were written by CLAMP’s scriptwriter Nanase Ohkawa.
– A talk between CLAMP and singer Maaya Sakamoto is published in the 0331 pamphlet, released for Maaya Sakamoto’s 15th Anniversary concert at the Budokan. CLAMP also drew an illustration of Maaya.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #17 along with the XXXHOLiC Rou OAD. The regular edition stayed in the Top 4 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– CLAMP travels to Kyoto and start collecting data for their next work, GATE7.
– A new Code Geass production is announced, entitled Code Geass GAIDEN: Boukoku no Akito. CLAMP is once again in charge of drawing the original character designs.
– Release of Kobato. TV Anime Official Guide Book Happy Memories. The book contained summaries of all 24 episodes, interview with staff and cast plus a talk with the anime director and Nanase Ohkawa.
– A campaign to promote the moving of XXXHOLiC to Bessatsu Shonen Magazine is held in 3 Kodansha magazines. A XXXHOLiC Rou one-shot was published in Weekly Shonen Magazine and a Holitsuba one-shot in Magazine SPECIAL, the 3rd magazine was Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, featuring the first chapter of XXXHOLiC’s new serialization. A QUO card was given to those who purchased each magazine and a short OAD for those who purchased all three magazines.
– XXXHOLiC’s serialization moves to Kodansha’s monthly magazine Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. In its first appearance in the magazine, XXXHOLiC featured the front cover.
– XXXHOLiC #16 and #17 appeared in Oricon’s 50 top-selling mangas in Japan from November 2009 to May 2010. They ranked 31 and 37, respectively. XXXHOLiC was Kodansha’s 6th best-selling title.
– CLAMP designs a Kinomoto Sakura and a Kimihiro Watanuki Blythe dolls for the Manga Girls Inspiration Charity Exhibition. The exhibition was held to celebrate Blythe‘s 9th Anniversary in Japan.
– CLAMP draws an illustration for the Summer Wars Official Comic Anthology.
– The members of CLAMP attend the opening ceremony of the Blythe exhibition and charity event at Omotesando Hills, Tokyo, Japan.
– CLAMP’s original art and drafts for The Witch’s Mansion and the Mysterious Scientist is exhibited at the Aoi Tori Bunko Festival exhibition in Kodansha’s K-Square.
– CLAMP moves to a new studio in Tokyo. They stayed in the former studio for 6 years.
– Release of Kobato. TV Anime DVD #7. The limited first edition came with a Box drawn by CLAMP.
– The members of CLAMP make a live guest appearance in Mihara Ichirou’s twitcast, during the time he visited their new studio.
– Release of XXXHOLiC Box Part 1, containing episodes 1 to 12 of the first season of the XXXHOLiC TV Anime.
– The XXXHOLiC Rou Short OAD is delivered to those who participated in the 3 magazines campaign. The 2 minute video was revealed to be the opening sequence of a new XXXHOLiC Rou OAD, set for a 2011 release.
– CLAMP collaborates with writer Tsukumo Youko in the short story “The Princess’ Disappearing Goblet – ‘The Witch’s Mansion’ Extra Story – The Night Before the Shiny Magic -“ for the Aoi Tori Bunko‘s 30th Anniversary commemorative book I want to read an interesting story! Magical Compilation!.
– CLAMP’s official website announces their first mobile event, CLAMP@MOBiLE Fes! 2011.
– Release of the XXXHOLiC 2011 Desktop Calendar, featuring black and white illustrations by CLAMP previously used as title pages for XXXHOLiC chapters.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #18. It stayed in the Top 2 positions in most rankings in its release week.
– A mail-in service to win a XXXHOLiC Fukusei Genga was hosted by Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. The Fukusei Genga is printed in a quality in order to look like a replica of the original art.
– Release of XXXHOLiC Box Part 2, containing episodes 13 to 24 of the first season of the XXXHOLiC TV Anime.
– CLAMP joins Amazon.co.jp’s “Hall of Fame” in the comic artists category. A formal ceremony was held to announce the artists and celebrate Amazon.co.jp’s 10th Anniversary.
– GATE7 one-shot is published in JUMP SQ. In the same issue it was announced that the one-shot will become a regular series in JUMP SQ in February, 2011.
– CLAMP draws the cover and inside illustrations for the pocket edition re-release of classic children’s book Peter Pan and Wendy (by author J. M. Barrie).
– CLAMP@MOBiLE launches its official twitter account: @CLAMP_news.
– The Kobato. manga gets a page increase in Newtype magazine. Until then the chapters were only up to 14 pages each, from now on each chapter can have up to 24 pages.
– CLAMP draws the March illustration for Newtype’s 2011 Calendar, featuring a Kobato. illustration.
– CLAMP appears as guest artists in Minoru Toyoda & Kumichi Yoshizuki’s doujinshi Koukan Nikki (交換日記, Exchange Diary) to be sold at Comiket.
What to expect of 2011:
– CLAMP@MOBiLE Fes! 2011 event with new goods, XXXHOLiC Rou Adayume OAD premiere and a CLAMP Talk Show;
– GATE7 serialization in February;
– XXXHOLiC Rou Adayume OAD in March;
– Possible releases of CLAMP IN AMERICA and the new Code Geass GAIDEN: Boukoku no Akito anime project;
– And of course, the serializations of both Kobato. and XXXHOLiC.
– … and many more surprises =)
Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of my LiveJournal, and I would like to say a huge thank you to all its readers, I hope you’ll keep reading it for the year that follows =)
HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ^__^
I’m sure 2011 will be as CLAMP-filled as the previous years have proved to be! See you in 2011!
Another year hoping to hear some news concerning X and maybe pretty please Gohou Drug. Oh well. 8|
HAPPY NEW YEAR & einen guten Rutsch, as we Germans say! ♥
Yeah, some Gouhou Drug would be nice… With the new Bill approved by Tokyo’s government, I fear the worse for X 😦 but one can always hope! Right now I think Gouhou Drug is most likely to return, XXXHOLiC is the only think keeping Nekoi’s hands busy enough.
Happy New Year and Feliz Ano Novo as we Brazilians say 🙂
A new bill? What does it say that’d prevent the rest of X getting published? 😮
It’s more complex than that, but it censors abusive sexual and violent scenes with underage in manga and anime.
We know there is a lot of violence in X, and they are all underage
Hmm, I see. Though in this case, shouldn’t more recent series like “Kuroshitsuji” be in even more trouble? 😐 Besides, we have similar laws in Germany and while sometimes those who decide what is decent and what isn’t have very weird standards, they generally do a good job. If those who will handle it in Japan know what they’re doing, I don’t see much changing except less shota/loli/guro stuff being published. And maybe a few additional censor bars. Then again, it’s Japan and I don’t know all that much about their standards. Though as far as I can tell from the manga I read, they don’t seem to be nearly as picky as the German government. I wonder if it’s really going to change that drastically in the future.
To be honest, as a publisher I’d be more worried about not enough people remembering/still being interested and therefore potentially losing money by releasing the rest of X. Money is worse than any law.
Thanks for the link anyway! When I google “Tokyo” and “bill”, all the results are Tokio Hotel’s Bill Kaulitz. *facepalm*
There is more info here http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-13/tokyo-youth-ordinance-bill-approved-by-committee
And it’s not really just a matter of this bill; it would be hard to find a magazine which would be willing to serialise X, it being an unreliable publication considering how many times it was hiatused because of concerns over it’s violence, the earthquake thing ect. I guess any publisher would be worried about any further controversy being caused by the series and the not entirely small possiblilty of it being cancelled again if it’s content was anything like it was before.
I do hope Legal drug will resume though. Kobato must soon be approaching it’s conclusion, so let’s hope that once that’s over, CLAMP pick up Legal Drug again.
This made me realize that I haven´t been keeping up with everything for so long…
A happy new year to you, too! 🙂
Now you know what happened of most important during this year 🙂
Another year without Gouhou Drug T__T
Seriously. At this point I think it’s never going to return.
Happy New Year anyway T_T
LEN! Tell me about it T.T
You’ve been a warrior, don’t give up!
Happy New Year!
Happy anniversary Chibiyuuto! And happy new year everyone else! Lets look foward to what CLAMP has to bring us in 2011!
Thnak youi! Happy new year!!
Hopefully they finish xxxholic soon:P
Happy New Year
I share the same hope 😡
Happy New Year! 🙂
Wow this year Clamp have done a lot good works! I just can’t wait for the next year, especially Gate 7, so exciting!
And last, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Thank you a lot for all your information in last year
I was surprised with this year as well, I must have underestimated it ^^
Thank you for the compliments! Have a wonderful new year as well!
Happy New Year and yay for 6th anniversary for this blog!
Yay thank you! See you in 2011! Thank you for your help on finding CLAMP news! 🙂
Happy Anniversary & Happy New Year! 😀
Thank you! Likewise yume-mi 🙂 happy 2011! More CLAMP in 2011 please!
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011!!
And Happy 6th LJ Bday 😉
Your retrospective of 2010 is really amazing, you must have spend a lot of time on it, thanks for the hard work! Seeing it all listed here really gives a neater and clearer idea of what Clamp has been up to in 2010 😀
How cute that’ 2011′! XD
I divided that retrospective in 3 parts XD it’s too tiresome to do all of it in a single day XD 4 months per day is easier to deal with XD
Thanks! I did my best to cover all important facts
Thank you also for all your hard work this year for finding news and scans and scanning magazine 🙂 hope to see you again in 2011!
have a wonderful new year!
Happy Anniversary ChibiYuuto! Thanks for all the CLAMP info, and hope your 2011 is fantastic! 😀
omg. what about clover!? that’s such an awesome series and 2 more volumes to go >____
Happy anniversary and Happy 2011! ^_^
Happy New Year, and thanks as always for your efforts!
Likewise 🙂 thank you for your efforts throughout 2010. Hope to see you in 2011 as well 😉
Oh yeah, I’ll be here!
>Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of my LiveJournal, and I would like to say a huge thank you to all its readers, I hope you’ll keep reading it for the year that follows =)
Awesome! High six! Thank you for all you’ve done these six years. ^^
High six! 😀 and thank you for always being aound during all this time! Happy new year 🙂 a year full of CLAMP for all!
Happy Anniversary!!! =D already 6 years, God time passes fast Although, I don’t comment so often as before >.
Indeed 6 years already! And you are a big part of it 🙂
Every year is always so busy for CLAMP, it won’t be different this time, I’m sure of it 🙂 looking forward to all the fun!
FELIZ AÑO NUEVO!!! Gracias for all your good wishes, I wish the same to you!
I check on your blog everyday for CLAMP news. Thank you so much for providing us with this amazing service! Happy new year to you and all fellow CLAMP fans!
Happy New Year and Happy Anniversary!
Whoaaa! CLAMP was certainly busy this year huh? But of course, they pulled everything off wonderfully like they always do!♥
You too! Thanks for working hard to always bring us news of these wonderful women. I’ll never stop reading this journal until the end of internet!!
Happy New Year Chibiyuuto! I hope the new year treats you well!!
Long time no see. XD
It’s been a while since i’ve been commenting here. X) haha.
… I think I missed out a lot. xD wowww. i didn’t even see the Maaya Sakmoto drawing before… o.o and i agree, i felt like not much had happened this year because Tsubasa ended but heck, CLAMP had a pretty busy year! 🙂
Happy New Year! Let’s toast to your 6th year of being here. ;D
Happy new year! Gosh, I’ve been following your blog for 4 years now. Thanks again for all your hard work ^_^
I fell in love with the Gate7 one-shot; I can’t wait for more. Legal Drug may not resuming this year, but as long as Nekoi keeps drawing those adorable little picture on her blog, I’ll have patience.
These women never stop working…. Awesome! Happy New Year Alex-kun!
Hey! I don’t comment all the time, but i love this LJ, I read it it everyday!!! Thank you for your brilliant work, Chibi Yuuto, you’re my n#1 source for CLAMP news(and OADs XD)! “Bonne année et bonne santé” (happy new year and good health) from France!
Happy 6-year Annaversery! I can’t wait to see what happens next on our CLAMP journey! 🙂
Happy new year! ^_^
And Happy 6th anniversary for your livejournal!
For me, 2011 will be the year Clamp made it to the last of the three big publishers. They have worked with Kondansha for over 15 years, they made it to Shogakukan on 2004 and now they have a first series published at Shueisha. Talking of Shueisha, Tamayo beat her friends by 13 years as she published Shade there between 97 and 99, but since she never made it to Shogakukan or Kondansha…
For 2012, I’m crossing my finger we will get an annoncement for another serialisation or the resume of an old serialisation. With xxxHolic now a monthly manga, they have room for a fourth series, like they did in 1998 (X, Wish, Card Captor Sakura and Clover) 1999 (X, Card Captor Sakura, Suki Dakara Suki and Angelic Layer) or 2001 (X, Suki Dakara Suki, Chobits and Gouhou Drug). They might even be able to manage 5 at a time now, it’s been 8 years since they took two weekly manga, and before that, they had three monthly and a weekly series.
I’m hoping against hope we will get some news for Clover and X this year. Do we fans start making pressure for the puplisher in 2011?
Happy New Year!! Miss you loads!!
Thanks you for the anniversary wishes =D
It really was great that they finally went to Sueisha, took them 21 years but finally it happened.
We should definitely start sending e-mails to Kadokawa about X =(
>Miss you loads!!
That will be my new year resolution then, to comment every post you’ll make this year. ^^
Hahaha you’re so nice! You should log on MSN or Facebook or twitter or something!
I can’t before my 6 years old niece leave the house, she loves me and won’t let me away long enough for chat. ^^;
Okay I can wait a day XD But please be more online! I miss you =) and your sis!
I’ll be online tomorrow then, between noon and midnight. My MSN seems to have some problems, I’ll be on gmail and facebook if I can’t fix it.