2006 was a VERY CLAMPy year. Even more than last year, I’d say. On it’s last day, it is time to review all the great happenings of the past year. They were based on my LJ posts so forgive me if I forgot anything.
– The pre-sales of DVDs of the XXXHOLiC and Tsubasa movies reached high positions at Animate’s ranking, one of the biggest anime/manga network stores of Japan. As a present, they gave an original good drawn and signed by CLAMP to the people who bought the DVDs at their stores.
– The official website of the XXXHOLiC TV series was launched.
– Tsubasa #13 and XXXHOLiC #8 were released. They topped the first 3 positions at Animate’s ranking on their release week.
– The DVDs of the XXXHOLiC and Tsubasa movies were released. The cover illustrations of the PREMIUM editions were drawn by CLAMP. Latter that month, the movie hit the internet.
– The 100th chapter of XXXHOLiC was published in Young Magazine.
– The event CLAMP + Production IG: Creative Paths from Manga to Animation was held at the Taipei Book Festival, in Taiwan. Ageha Ohkawa attended to the event, in behalf of CLAMP, with Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, the president of Production IG. It was the first time a CLAMP member attended to an international event. Additionally, Ohkawa announced that CLAMP would be visiting Korea and the USA later that year. Questions regarding X’s hiatus and the change of names of the CLAMP members were asked at the event (Read more: * * *).
– It was announced that Suga Shikao would perform the Opening Theme of the XXXHOLiC anime and Fonogenico, the Ending Theme.
– It was also announced that Kinya would perform the Opening Theme for the 2nd season of Tsubasa Chronicle and Maaya Sakamoto, the Ending Theme.
– The summary of the 2nd season of Tsubasa Chronicle was announced and, differently than the original manga, the series would start in the Piffle arc. It was the first of a series of changes that would happen in that season.
– CLAMP celebrated 17 years of professional mangakas (probably around 20 years under the name of “CLAMP”, if you count their doujinshi days).
– Tsubasa #14 was released. It reached the 1st position at Tohan, E-hon and Animate’s rankings on it’s releasing week.
– The XXXHOLiC anime started it’s broadcasting on TBS channel. The anime was averagely well-received by the audience, despite by some flaws, mainly related to the unstable animation quality of the series. Most of the links to Tsubasa were cut even though links to other CLAMP series were not.
– The re-broadcast of CCS 3rd Season ended on NHK.
– The 2nd season of Tsubasa Chronicle started on NHK. The anime was victim of NHK’s educational policy, which caused cuts and censorships as the series was getting darker to a point where the anime detached itself from the original manga at some points. Additionally, the animation quality and the big amount of original episodes displeased some hardcore fans.
– It was announced that CLAMP would be attending the 15th Anime Expo in July at California, USA.
– The production of a XXXHOLiC Novel was announced. The book would be written by author Nishio Ishin under the name of XXXHOLiC – Another Holic Landolt Ring Aerosol.
– CLAMP attended as guests on the TBS show King’s Brunch, it was their second appearance on the japanese television. The video, however, never hit the internet up to now.
– CLAMP also attended in that month to the Seoul International Cartoon and Animation Festival, the SICAF, in South Korea. It was the first CLAMP event outside Japan with all 4 members. The event was entitled CLAMP DAYS KOREA 2006 and CLAMP performed a Talk Show and a Sign Session. On the next day, they were interviewed by the local Press and the event was covered by several Korean websites (Read more: *).
– Kagerou, performed by the band BUCK TICK, was announced as the second Ending Theme of the XXXHOLiC anime.
– The children’s book for which CLAMP did the cover and inner illustrations for, Welcome to the Witch’s Place, was released. The story was written by the author Tsukumo Youko.
– The production of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 1995~2006 was announced. Maaya Sakamoto would sing the Opening Theme, action!, while ROUND TABLE feat. Nino would perform the Ending Theme, Oh!Yeah!. Animation work by MADHOUSE, directed by Mitsuyuki Masuhara and Character Design by Hiromi Kato.
– It was announced that CLAMP would be doing the Character Design for Sunrise’s mecha anime, Code Geass – Lelouch of the Rebellion. It was the first time CLAMP designed characters for a non-CLAMP anime.
– It was announced that Kobato’s serialization would be restarted on October, now in Newtype Magazine, of Kadokawa Publisher.
– An article about CLAMP and animation was published in the 2nd issue of the magazine Animation Note. The article was mainly focused on XXXHOLiC but it featured pictures of CLAMP and their studio (Read more: *).
– CLAMP attended as Guests of Honor to the 15th Anime Expo in California, USA. The first day of the event was marked by CLAMP’s Panel, in which more than 5.000 people attended to, and a Press Conference. In the second day CLAMP held a sign session for a limited number of people. When asked about Gouhou Drug at the Press Conference, CLAMP said that they’ll be resuming it “in the near future”. Other highlights were: X to be 21-volumes long, Tsubasa will probably have a happy ending (Read more: * * *).
– It was announced that Newtype Magazine would release two special magazines dedicated to CLAMP, entitled CLAMP Newtype [PLATINUM] and [PASTEL]. A preview of what those magazine would gonna look like came as an appendix to one of the Newtype issues, entitled CLAMP Newtype [WHITE].
– Tsubasa #15 and XXXHOLiC #9 were released. They stayed among the 3 top-sellers at most of the rankings in their release week.
– The first XXXHOLiC DVD was released. One of the many extras was an audio commentary of Ageha Ohkawa and director Tsutomu Mizushima (You can get it here).
– The 3rd season of CCS started to be re-broadcasted on NHK.
– XXXHOLiC’s Novel was released. CLAMP drew the cover and inner illustrations for it. It reached the 9th position at Animate’s ranking on it’s release week. Additionally, Ageha Ohkawa adapted one of the stories of the book for the anime of XXXHOLiC.
– The production of CLAMP in 3-D LAND was announced. A total of 40 trading figurines divided in 8 different series to be released until August of 2008.
– Creation of Komugikotoride no Yonshimin, a web-radio show hosted by CLAMP, available at their members-only website, CLAMP-PLA-NET (You can get them here).
– The production of CLAMP Mokona no Okimonokimono was announced. A visual book written and produced by CLAMP about the Kimonos designed by Mokona. Published under Kawaide Shobo, the book will also contain a talk between Mokona and Ami Onuki, from the PUFFY band. It’s release it’s scheduled for February, 2007.
– Tsubasa #16 was released. It stayed among the 10 top-sellers mangas at most rankings and it reached the 1st position at Animate’s ranking on it’s releasing week.
– CLAMP Newtype [PLATINUM] was released. The special magazine covered the series with the theme Fight and Destiny, X being the big highlight. The magazine had a new X illustration on the cover, works review, essays, a new installment of the short comic CLAMP IN WONDERLAND EX and a special supplement entitled X 18.5, containing the 5 chapters never published in tankohon format.
– The 2nd Tsubasa Character Guide was released. The highlights were never-before-seen materials like original character sketches, original chapter script written by Ageha Ohkawa and a storyboard Mokona did “just for fun” for the 2nd season anime OP.
– Code Geass started it’s broadcasting on TBS. Opening Theme by FLOW and Ending Theme by ALI PROJECT.
– The first chapter of Kobato’s new series was published in Newtype Magazine. The series got a new title, Kobato., and it was restarted from the beginning. According to CLAMP, they were told to draw only 7 chapters for Sunday GX and once it was decided to restart the series, they moved to a new magazine.
– XXXHOLiC Anime ended it’s broadcasting on TBS. The series covered volumes 1 to 6, mostly, in a total of 23 episodes plus an extra story. Ageha Ohkawa wrote the script for 4 episodes and CLAMP drew the illustrations for two boxes to hold the 8 DVDs of the series. So far there has been no word about a possible continuation.
– Release of the Dimension Zero Trading Cards series for which CLAMP drew the illustrations for two cards.
– CLAMP Newtype [PASTEL] was released. The magazine covered works with the theme Love and Heal, Kobato. being the big highlight. The magazine’s content had works review, essays, a new installment of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND EX short comic, among others. The magazine also came with a special supplement containing the first 3 chapters of Kobato (Temporary), first published in Sunday GX. Additionally, the first official pictures of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 1995~2006 appeared in the magazine and it was announced that CLAMP would do the storyboard for the video-clip.
– Tsubasa Chronicle ended it’s broadcasting on NHK. The series covered volumes 1 to 14 in a total of 52 episodes divided in 2 series. CLAMP will draw the illustration for the box that will hold all 7 DVDs of the series. So far there has been no word about a possible continuation.
– The first CLAMP in 3-D LAND series of figurines was released. Composed by Yuuko (XXXHOLiC), Sakura (TRC), Syaoran (CCS), Kazahaya (Gouhou Drug) and Chii/Elda (Chobits). CLAMP drew the package illustration. It reached the 1st position at Animate’s Goods ranking on it’s releasing week.
– Tsubasa #17, XXXHOLiC #10 and XXXHOLiC Official Guide were released. It reached the 2nd, 1st and 6th position, respectively, at Animate’s Ranking.
– CLAMP’s New Year event, CLAMP New Year’s Party ~ Four citizens of Special New Year’s food fortress ~ was announced. Tickets sold out in the first day they were put on the market. The event will happen at Shinjuku on January, 2007.
– Announcement of CLAMP in 3-D LAND DEBUT!, the event in commemoration of CLAMP in 3-D LAND sales. The event will happen in Tokyo, on March of 2007, and it’s when the first screening of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 1995~2006 will happen.
– It was announced that CLAMP will draw the illustration for the box that will hold all 9 DVDs of the Code Geass series. CLAMP will also draw short comics that will come with DVDs #4 and #7.
– The Tsubasa & XXXHOLiC 2007 calendar was released.
– The second Tsubasa & XXXHOLiC Drama CD was released. Written by Ageha Ohkawa, the limited CD was available only for those who applied for it.
– A CLAMP article was published on The New York Times. During the time they went to the USA, they were interviewed by the NYT newspaper, but the article was published only in December. The article explored CLAMP’s diversity, mostly, on doing mangas for both boys and girls.
– A 4-pages (all colored) short comic was published in the magazine Modern Mahjong. The story is about about a Mahjong player who’s been losing a lot until he finds a store that grant wishes. It was CLAMP’s first appearance in that magazine.
As I said, a lot of things happened and I tried to cover the most important ones. I hope I didn’t miss anything ^^”
For 2007, there are a couple of things we should be looking forward to:
– Mokona no Okimonokimono visual book in February.
– CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 1995~2006, the video, events and goods related to, starting on Spring.
– CLAMP in 3-D LAND, a couple of series should be released during the year.
– XXXHOLiC and Tsubasa‘s climaxes, as they run toward their ends.
Out of the CLAMP field, I’ll be looking forward to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix movie in July, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book, hopefully until the end of the year ^^
HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ^__^
EDIT: Just remembered ! Today I’m completing 2 years of Live Journal ! But 3 years and 8 months if you count the time during which I ran my blog at pitas.com. Thank you everybody for visiting it ^__^