I think Saturday is a good day to review XXXHOLiC. Hopefully I’ll be able to review the whole series like this xD
– Did anyone get why the episode title is left pupil?
– Jun Fukuyama is amazing xD I think I’m gonna say this a lot during this season. Perfect adaptation of “Watanuki-sama”, great job for both Fukuyama and the animators (his crazy movements were very well represented).
– Oh I’m glad they kept “Yumegari” as the title for Himawari’s book.
– Not just the title, apparently
Ohkawa CLAMP gave the producers an original excerpt of their unfinished novel, Yumegari (perfection!). In the pages can be read:
He moves toward the bed. He still has his shoes on. It is not a very polite gesture, but Tatsumi understood that it is to runaway just in case something happens.
Kyousuke slowly moved toward the bed creaking the floor board.
He stopped right by it.
“Someone is here.”
When she heard that, Tatsumi carefully moved toward it.
On the bed that Kyousuke was looking down upon, there was indeed someone sleeping on it.
It was a girl.
The age was unknown. But it was probably between seven and ten years old. It wasn’t clear because she had a comforter on top of her, but she seemed to be wearing white pajamas.
A long haired, cute girl, whose well shaped face can be determined even from her sleeping face.
She was sleeping with her arms folded across her chest.
“…..She’s…..not dead….is she…”
Tatsumi points at the chest that rises and falls with her breathing. Kyousuke sighs as if to ponder what to do and crouched
down where he was standing.
“Is this….the ‘dream’ that we are supposed to enter?”
“We were told that we would understand when we got there.”
(Taken from the Yumegari translation of the no longer active CLAMP Mailing List)
The text is the same in both the top and bottom parts of the book, though xDDD
– I like the music when the bookworm appears, and its sound (sort of a twisted vacuum). They created quite an atmosphere.
– Why the colors of Yuuko’s clothes don’t match the manga? CLAMP colored them, what else did the producers need? I don’t like these colors, but oh well…
– Even the question mark above Himawari’s head has the exact same shape of the manga, nice!
– The vision Watanuki had from his right eye shows a bird trying to catch his eye, and not a hand, like in the manga. I wonder why…
– The book wasn’t the only Yumegari reference of this episode, the flying goldfish is also a kind of a reference. And it looks so pretty when it’s colored!
– The goldfish leads us to the first appearance of Neko Musume! I wanted to see her so badly! Her skin has a slightly darker tone, and I thought her voice would sound more hyper, childish and cute, sort of meowing. Can’t wait for the next arc where she has more screen-time.
– Yuuko looks SO GREAT in the night sequence.
– I like that the background people have a gradient fill xD
– LOL at Watanuki mocking Doumeki behind Himawari xD
– Himawari mentions Kohane-chan to Watanuki, again an early mention of Kohane that was not in the manga.
– What’s with the car accident? O.o And the woman who got hit? A bit different from the manga, makes me wonder if it’s going to be relevant somehow.
– I just love how the Karasu Tengu are all so subservient to Yuuko xD
Great second episode. Thankfully it didn’t suffer from the 2nd episode curse, on the contrary, the animation was very similar to episode 1. I am really loving this frame-by-frame adaptation and the funny elements that surround Watanuki’s reactions. So far a very faithful adaptation.