I’ve been in this “business” for nearly 5 years now xD, and so far there hasn’t been a year which was not filled with a lot of new releases, events and other important happenings in the CLAMP world. And this year wasn’t different!
On this last day of 2007, let’s take a look at this year’s highlights.
– The event CLAMP New Year’s Party ~Four citizens of Special New Year’s food fortress~ was held in Tokyo to celebrate the new year. In the event, a lot about the future of Tsubasa and XXXHOLiC was revealed, including Ohkawa’s statement that with the exception of one character, Tsubasa will have a happy ending. A preview of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 was screened at the event as well.
– Release of CLAMP Mokona no Okimono Kimono. Produced by Mokona, the book is centered on Kimonos and Mokona’s advices on how to wear them. The book also featured a photo shoot showing Mokona’s own creations, special talks and a short comic drawn by CLAMP.
– To promote and support the release of the book, an exposition featuring different kinds of Kimono combinations and original accessories was held at the LOGOS GALLERY in Tokyo. A segment from the exposition was featured in the japanese TV show Mezamashi TV (Download the video here).
– Also to promote the release of her book, Mokona held a series of sign sessions, two in Tokyo and two in Fukuoka. In addition, Mokona was greatly interviewed by the japanese press, conceiving interviews to several newspapers, websites and magazines.
– CLAMP made their third TV appearance on TBS show Wanna Gonna, with Shouko-tan as one of the show’s MC. She and her MC partner visited CLAMP’s studio and together they worked on an exclusive audio-visual short manga (Download the video here).
– The collaboration between Youko Tsukumo and CLAMP led to the release of the second volume of The Witch’s Mansion series of novels. CLAMP repeated the role of drawing the illustrations for The Witch’s Mansion and the Secret Channel just as they had done for the first volume.
– A new exposition inspired by CLAMP Mokona no Okimono Kimono was held at the Libro Nagoya Hall, in Nagoya.
– Puff magazine published a new interview with CLAMP in which they revealed that, at that time, 2/3 of the Tsubasa story had already been told.
– Release of Tsubasa #18. It stayed among the 5 top-selling mangas at most rankings and it reached the 1st position at Animate’s ranking on its release week.
– The production of Code Geass‘s 2nd Season was announced in Newtype magazine. The new season will begin broadcast on Spring, 2008.
– To celebrate the release and sales of CLAMP in 3-D LAND, the event CLAMP in 3-D LAND DEBUT! was held at the TOKYO FM HALL. The CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 video-clip was screened for the first time at the event and CLAMP hinted that there were plans to produce new picture adaptations for Tsubasa and XXXHOLiC.
– Release of CLAMP in 3-D LAND 2nd Series, composed by Yasha (RG Veda), Rikuou (Gouhou Drug), Misaki (Angelic Layer), Freya (Chobits) and Syaoran (Tsubasa).
– CLAMP completed 18 years of professional manga creation. Their official website, CLAMP-NET.COM, completed 10 years of online life.
– Representatives from Newtype USA announced at San Diego’s ComicCon that Kobato. would be published in the American version of the magazine as well. The first chapter debuted in the June issue of the magazine along with a CLAMP interview.
– Release of the first Tsubasa artbook, Tsubasa Art Collection -ALBuM De REProDUCTioNS-. A total of 80 colored illustrations were collected in the artbook, covering volumes 1 to 14 of the series.
– The first screenshots of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 were displayed at the Tokyo Anime Fair in MADHOUSE’s booth.
– Release of XXXHOLiC #11. It stayed among the 3 top-selling mangas at most rankings and it reached the 1st position at Animate’s ranking on its release week.
– The 13th novel of the Soryuden series, Soryuden – Volcanic Islands, was re-released in pocket edition. Just like its previous volumes, CLAMP drew the cover and inside illustrations for the edition.
– The animation music video of CLOVER, until then never released in any format since its first exhibition on theaters in 1998, was released in DVD format. Also released on the same day was Card Captor Sakura THE MOVIE COLLECTION, a limited edition DVD set with Card Captor Sakura’s two movies.
– Release of Tsubasa #19. It stayed among the 3 top-selling mangas at most rankings and it reached the 1st position at Animate’s ranking on its release week.
– Announcement of the Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations project. Produced by Kodansha, animated by PRODUCTION I.G. and written by CLAMP’s Ageha Ohkawa, the project’s scope was to produce an animated version of the “Tokyo” arc of chapters and release them in 3 separate DVDs, each one of them attached to limited editions of Tsubasa #21, #22 and #23 respectively.
– Release of CLAMP in 3-D LAND 3rd Series, composed by Subaru (Tokyo Babylon), Watanuki (XXXHOLiC), Sumomo & Kotoko (Chobits), Ashura (RG Veda) and Hinata (‘Suki. Dakara Suki’).
– The production of CLAMP in CARDLAND was announced, a Trading Card Game with CLAMP as theme, produced and distributed by UpperDeck. CLAMP would draw new illustrations for special cards.
– CLAMP signs deal with American publisher Dark Horse to produce a shoujo manga due to 2009. The manga will be serialized monthly and simultaneously published on the United States, Japan and Korea. This new and revolutionary method of manga distribution was called by CLAMP and Dark Horse as Mangettes.
– Release of Tsubasa #20. It stayed among the 3 top-selling mangas at most rankings and it reached the 2nd position at Animate’s ranking on its release week.
– Release of INTERNET RADIO MAGAZINE Komugikotoride no Yonshimin. Published by Kodansha, the book featured transcripts from the first 18 episodes of CLAMP’s Internet radio show. Among other contents, a Holitsuba short comic and an illustration gallery. A CD with a special episode came with the book as a bonus (Download these and other episodes here).
– Marvelous Entertainment releases XXXHOLiC ~Watanuki no Izayoi Souwa~, a game for PlayStation 2 based on XXXHOLiC’s anime.
– 2nd Season of XXXHOLiC anime production was announced at TBS Anime Festa 2007. Staff and cast remain the same, beginning of broadcast scheduled for April, 2008.
– Promotional videos of Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations – The Magician’s Message and CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 hit the web.
– Newtype magazine announced that the stories of Kobato. and Kobato (Temporary) would be connected to one single story.
– Release of CLAMP in 3-D LAND 4th Series, composed by Tomoyo (Card Captor Sakura), Doumeki (XXXHOLiC), Seishirou (Tokyo Babylon), Akira (20 Mensho ni Onegai!!) and Kouhaku (Wish).
– Release of XXXHOLiC #12. It stayed among the 3 top-selling mangas at most rankings and it reached the 1st position at Animate’s ranking on its release week. More than 8.000.000 tankoubon copies of XXXHOLiC have been sold until then.
– Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations – The Magician’s Message was screened for the first time in two preview sessions at the Kodansha Hall in Tokyo. CLAMP members and some staff and cast members attended to the event. The producers hinted that a continuation post-Tokyo arc might happen.
– Release of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 1 & 2 . The CD collected the complete soundtrack of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 1 and 2, plus two karaoke tracks. The limited first edition carried a case with new illustration drawn by CLAMP, a special pamphlet and other bonuses.
– Release of CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 1 & 2 . The DVD carried the first CLAMP IN WONDERLAND video, until then never released in DVD format, and the newest and second installment, CLAMP IN WONDERLAND 2 1995~2006, directed and produced by CLAMP. Among other bonuses, the limited first edition came with an exclusive 248-pages long pamphlet featuring interviews and the storyboards used for both videos (Download the video here).
– Release of CLAMP in CARDLAND 1st Series, with a total of 131 cards. The 3 special cards featured new illustrations of Sakura & Sakura, Kamui & Subaru and one featuring various characters, which was also used as the package illustration. The 2nd and 3rd series are scheduled for a February and May release.
– The 3rd Holitsuba Drama CD was released. Written by Ageha Ohkawa, the limited CD was available only for those who applied for it.
– Release of the Tsubasa & XXXHOLiC 2008 calendar.
– Release of Tsubasa #21 and Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations – The Magician’s Message. The DVD limited edition stayed among the 3 top-selling mangas at most rankings and it reached the 1st position at Animate’s ranking on its release week.
– CLAMP’s Silver Powder was featured at the JAPAN EXPO 2007, in Los Angeles.
– The organizers of Bande Dessinée International Festival announced that CLAMP’s art would be part of the event’s 35th edition, set to January 2008, in France. The art of CLAMP is expected to appear in another exposition, Shoujo Manga Power! Tsuyoku, Yashashiku, Utsukushiku, taking place at Japan’s Kawasaki City Museum. The exposition opens in February, 2008 .
– CLAMP drew a short Holitsuba manga for Kodansha’s special magazine, Magazine Dragon.
– The collaboration between Youko Tsukumo and CLAMP led to yet another volume of The Witch’s Mansion series. CLAMP once again drew the cover and inside illustrations for The Witch’s Mansion and the Moon Fortuneteller, the 3rd volume of the series.
– Release of CLAMP in 3-D LAND 5th Series, composed by Takeshi (Gakuen Tokkei Duklyon), Fye (Tsubasa), Utako (20 Mensho ni Onegai!!), Miyuki-chan (Miyuki-chan in Wonderland) and Chunyan (Shin Shunkaden). Series 6, 7 and 8 will be released until September, 2008.
– Release of Kobato. #1. The tankoubon carried the first 9 chapters published in Newtype plus Kobato’s debut chapter in Sunday GX.
And there are several great things we should be looking forward in 2008:
– Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations #2 and #3, in January and March.
– XXXHOLiC’s 2nd anime season, in April.
– New information about CLAMP’s project for 2009, Mangettes (hopefully).
– Tsubasa and XXXHOLiC’s serializations will be HOT, we’ll either see their ends in 2008, or get really close to them (I bet on the latter).
– Kobato.’s serialization, the story has finally moved on.
– And lastly, and this is me seeing a little too forward, CLAMP’s 20th Anniversary is coming in 2009, and if the same pattern of their 15th one repeats itself, we might get to know some of the celebration projects by the end of the year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR !! ^__^
I wish a peaceful year to anyone reading this!